Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: match lines and serialnumberd probe

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 13:11:12 -0600

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:00:27AM -0500, Samuel Benson wrote:

On May 24, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

The probe works good but not the payload.
I changed 636 to 626 but I don't see any packets coming in to the target.
Probably has something to do with my virtualization again.....
Anyone with access to a real OS X server that could give it a go?

Host OS: 10.6.3 x86_64
Target: 10.5.8 PPC

As far as I can tell, the payload does work. I see the payload packet
being sent from laptop to the server, and the server is replying. The
problem I think nmap would run into in parsing the reply, is
serialnumberd isn't sending a response packet to the originating host.
According to tcpdump, the response packed is being sent to a multicast
address, in this case 224.0.0.1:626, which if you think about it would
be the best way to detect duplicate serial numbers on a network,
especially if the servers are unconfigured, or using a self assigned
ip.

So when you say the payload works, does that mean that the port is
"open" in the scan
        nmap -sU -p 626 <target>
If Nmap doesn't receive the response properly, it will be
"open|filtered".

If running several scans with a fair amount of time differential
between them, the response payload does change, :ivI7BE:xsvr , and
:BE5BO9:xsvr , and :bGPXii:xsvr  are responses garnered from the same
host.

I don't see that type of data in the responses--the six alphanumeric
bytes looks more like the request we send. Your example response,

SNRESPS:ldap.digitalescape.info:0xA87896E21BF70D3AECB9120C54A1D8B52E2B8932:xsvr:0xC5CF122CD26B2A2C39BF90D8E7D895B60166366A:0x4bca7500:0xB0013005AD4FA83E433D450B87D684DE55D7B273:ldap.digitalescape.info

doesn't match that either.

Also of note, when the respone packet hits the network my secondary
server also replies, as is expected, and answers to the SNQUERY with a
SNRESPS packet shaped much differently,

Thanks, I've added another match line that gets the host name from a
response like the one you have given.

David Fifield