Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat: Listen Plus Exec Equals Keep-Open

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:40:47 -0600

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:40:06PM -0700, David Millis wrote:
Okay, I can see your point. Changing the behavior is easy technically:
just change netrun to netexec in ncat_listen.c. It's would break
backwards compatibility with option syntax, though.

We had a similar situation with normal listen mode. The -k option was
added fairly recently. Before that, the default was to keep listening
always.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q2/620

Does anyone have thoughts on making a one-connection mode the default
for --exec, and using -k --exec for the current inetd-like behavior?

I'm all for it of course. But then that's how I interpreted ncat
already worked from the help. :)

Thanks for the 5.3b1 release which fixed the other problems I had. Now
I can at least pass unidirectional messages via piping/redirection
without intermittent fails. If -l & -e were one-shot without the -k,
scripts could be more robust/streamlined with bidirectional
conversation, a success/fail return message for instance, or
query/response exchanges.

This is finally implemented. Now, --exec and --sh-exec accept just one
connection and then quit. Use --keep-open for the previous inetd-like
behavior.

David Fifield