Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request list all IP addresses of a host name

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 18:22:45 -0600

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:23:21PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:19:34PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 09:11:21PM -0400, Derek wrote:

We do keep track of all the IP addresses, in the Target::resolved_addrs
member. But I don't think they're printed out anywhere. Please give us
an example of what you want the output to look like.

It is certainly an interesting issue.  When I scan Google.com, I get
(in verbose mode or not) a line like:

Hostname google.com resolves to 4 IPs. Only scanned 74.125.19.147

Of course the IP address shifts among the four each time, and someone
elsewhere might get a completely different set if it is geo based DNS.
I agree that printing all four IPs is desirable, but I wonder if we
should go even further.  Maybe instead of picking one of the IPs
arbitrarily to scan, we should scan ALL the IPs (and print a line
noting what we are doing)?  When I specify a host name without a
subnet mask, that is usually what I want.

Ignoring for a moment the question of whether to scan all the addresses,
I made a change to at least print the addresses that were resolved but
not scanned. It replaces the line "Hostname ... resolves to N IPs. Only
scanned ...". It looks like this in context:

Starting Nmap 5.30BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-05-10 23:57 MDT
Nmap scan report for google.com (66.102.7.99)
Host is up (0.073s latency).
Other addresses for google.com (not scanned): 66.102.7.104
rDNS record for 66.102.7.99: lax04s01-in-f99.1e100.net

David Fifield