Nmap Development mailing list archives

Coherence of Version Detection

From: Marc Ruef <marc.ruef () computec ch>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:43:42 +0200

Hello,

We did a large-scale scan recently (houndreds of internal hosts). To moderate and report the results, we use a self-written parsing-script to import all xml data into a database (it is more an expert system). [1]

During the moderation process we identified that version detection of nmap is determining IIS web servers differently. The identifier strings are (nmap 5.21 used):

* Microsoft IIS httpd
* Microsoft IIS httpd 6.0
* Microsoft IIS httpd 7.5
* Microsoft IIS webserver 6.0
* Microsoft IIS webserver 7.5

It looks like the same version is reported with different names: Once as "httpd x.y" and once as "webserver x.y".

I was crawling through nmap-service-probes to identify the affected entries. Is there a reason why there is a different naming? Of not, wouldn't it be a good idea to normalize the naming convention as far as possible?

Otherwise, we would have to do this ourselves to provide the possibility of software inventory reports. In this case we would maintain nmap-service-probes ourselves or change the data during parsing.

Regards,

Marc

[1] The basic idea is summarized at http://www.scip.ch/?labs.20090814 (focussing on Qualys Scan; German only).

--