Nmap Development mailing list archives

nping --data question

From: <Tim.Poth () bentley com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:36:25 -0400

So I think nping is great, just what I need for something im working on however I have one issue, I cant get the --data
command to send anything

So this is my command
nping --tcp --flags 0x18 -p 5800 --dest-ip 192.168.0.10 -c 15 --tr --data 0x888888

im using Wireshark to watch the traffic and I see no data in the packets, the nping output shows the len as 40. If I
use a --data-string I see the data in the packet but I really need to be able to send a hex string. The --data-file
command doesn't work any better for me.

Am I doing something wrong here, is this feature broken, ect? I am on windows 7 if that could be part of the issue.

In case anyone cares (or has a better idea), packets with a specific data pattern are going missing as they cross the
internet and I want to know what hop along the way is eating them. I can trace all the way there with nping using a
"non bad" pattern so I am assuming that if I use the "bad" pattern from both directions I should find the problem point
and then yell at the isp. I just cant get the bad pattern to go.

Thanks
tim