Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [BULK] Re: need help with ping of list by name

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:26:34 -0600

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:12:30PM -0500, Norris Carden wrote:
What I am trying to do is take a very long list of system names
enumerated from Active Directory and identify systems that do not exist.
All I have is computer names. I was hoping Nmap would be able to help me
with this.

Here are my assumptions:

A system that exists will respond to a ping. I can easily assume these
exist.
A system that does not respond to a ping, but has a DNS entry might
still exist, but is currently powered down.
A system that has no DNS entry either never existed or has been powered
off long enough for their DDNS entry to expire. These are the systems I
am trying to identify.

Are you talking about forward (hostname to IP) or reverse (IP to
hostname) DNS? If I understand you right, the list scan -sL is what you
want. That will print a list of all the target you specify, along with
their forward and reverse DNS names. Systems that don't have forward DNS
entries will say "Failed to resolve given hostname/IP: xxx".

David Fifield