Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Qscan in NSE: qscan.nse

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:33:47 -0500

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 18:30:00 -0500 Kris Katterjohn
Well, it already only goes against open and/or closed ports.
Hmm, I thought the host I was scanning had all filtered ports (except a few), but I'll have to validate.

Perhaps we should only check common ports (maybe top 1000?) by default?

Lowering the delay can certainly make it faster, but could cost
accuracy depending on how far you go.

A problem with making it faster is that it's a timing based scan, so
I'm not too fond of making it parallel across ports.  We're trying to
find differences in times between ports, but we could create (or also
mask) this ourselves by probing many ports at once.  Maybe this can
be shown to not cause problems?
Agreed. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy, I'd like to find some middle ground, though.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org