Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Add support for UDP headers in packet.lua

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:50:52 +0100

On 08/04/2010 21:53, David Fifield wrote:
This looks good to me. I think it's safe to add now. Did I see you're
using this in code in a branch?

I think it's safe too, it's very basic and follows the same pattern that
handling of the other protos uses.  I've begun a script which pulls IP
addresses of clients which recently communicated with a target ntp
server using the monlist private ntp query and this script uses
packet.lua for its packet generation and parsing - which is why I added
the UDP header support.  So yes, it's had some limited, but sufficient
testing.  The script is certainly working in terms of parsing the udp
haven't tested it on a wide range of targets yet and haven't encountered
any exceptional circumstances.

I also want to add IPv6 support to packet.lua, but I'm (supposed to be)
focussed on other stuff at the moment so that will have to wait a while.
I found packet.lua quite difficult to get to grips with at first, but
it's incredibly useful.  The main thing I had a problem with was the
lack of documentation of its properties and I think it should be
refactored to add a getter method for each property so that they appear
in nsedocs.  Another possibility might be to declare the properties
up-front in the 'constructor' table and then document those with @field
tags.  I'd be happy to do either of these once there's consensus on a
preferred way forward.

I'll give the udp patch another coat of looking-at and commit it
sometime tomorrow.

Best,

jah