Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fragscan not working?

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:25:51 -0500

On 04/07/2010 01:49 PM, Brandon Enright wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:55:59 -0500
Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:51:04 -0600 David Fifield
<david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:30:01AM -0500, Ron wrote:
My friend reported fragscan (-f) not working on the latest version
of Nmap. I tried a couple experiments (both against hosts on the
local network and off the local network) and got absolutely no
It works for me against scanme.nmap.org and against the LAN. Did a
previous version of Nmap work for your friend?

David Fifield
Yes, he said that 4.68 or so worked. I just tried scanme.insecure.org
from two different computers and it didn't work. they can't scan each
other, either, using -f (they're on different subnets on our
intranet, but there's no filtering between them). I also tried
scanning two systems on the same subnet with no luck.

I can send a packet capture off list, if that would help. This is the
output from a test system scanning scanme.insecure.org-- looks like
nothing's being received

I seem to have a different problem.  My scans work and I get responses
back with -f but a quick look with tcpdump shows my packets aren't
fragmented.  I'm running 2.6.31 mostly vanilla.

If I add --send-eth I do see the fragments go by and the scan also
works.

I suppose -f should probably imply --send-eth, at least on Linux.

I used -f against a host on my LAN (directly connected) and two hosts across
the internet (google and scanme), and it all seemed to work fine.  I used
Wireshark and --packet-trace to watch the traffic, and Nmap gave me good data
every time.  I even reran using (the unneeded) --send-ip to be sure afterward.

I'm running kernel 2.6.33 coming with Sidux (Debian sid).

Brandon

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn