Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New Nmap options for IDS interaction

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:43:09 -0600

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:34:17PM +0100, Theo Dzierzbicki wrote:
Can you mock up some command lines showing how the new options would be
used? I think that would help me understand your proposal.

Certainly. Let's try to explain the uses cases more clearly.

Objective : avoid detection by IDSs during a port scan. Example IDS rules
( taken directly from "Nmap Network Scanning" ) :

 o  first use case : fixed time scale detection. The IDS watches for
'scanner-fixed-threshold' probe packets to any host in the network in
'scanner-fixed-window' seconds ( both defaulting to 15 in Snort defaults )

---> Current solution :

Single target : $ nmap --scan-delay 1075 $target

 o  second use case : sliding time scale detection. Mostly the same principle
as the above, only addition : each time the IDS sees a probe, it re-increases
the window by a factor ( Snort defaults : factor = 0.5, scanner-window = 20,
scanner-threshold=40 ).

illustration by an example : you send your first probe, triggering the
mecanism. You then wait 10s, then send your second probe. The window,
which was decreased to 10s, is reaugmented to 15s.

---> Current solution :

Single target : $ nmap --scan-delay 20001

Of course IDS do not have only two rules. There is other behaviors to avoid if
you really don't want to trigger anything, but for simple port scanning, these
two types of rules seem to be the worst ennemies.

So we have the fixed time scan detection, which is already solved with
--scan-delay or --max-rate, but requires some calculation. I can see
adding an option to do this calculation automatically. The sliding time
scan option is not well handled by Nmap, in fact the book recommends
using a shell script or custom scanner for this case.

I seem to remember that flow-portscan, the Snort detection module
described in the book, is not the newest/default scan detection module
anymore. Does anyone know? What's the latest, and what sort of tunable
parameters does it have?

David Fifield