Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap bug - Doesn't folow static route

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:48:09 -0700

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 01:11:21PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
The logic for determining when an address is directly connected has
changed. Instead of considering an address directly connected whenever
it matches an interface netmask, we consider it so when the gateway
address is 0.0.0.0 or when the gateway address is exactly equal to the
interface address. The proper way to do this would be to look at the "G"
flag from the routing table, but libdnet doesn't retain that.

I've just added another possibility from testing on OS X. The ways for
an address to be considered directly connected are:

1. Gateway address is 0.0.0.0 (Linux).
2. Gateway address is the same as local interface address (Windows).
3. Gateway address is the same as the destination address (Mac OS X).

It would be better to get this directly from the system routing table,
but I haven't found out how to do that on platforms that don't have
/proc/net/route.

David Fifield