Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Crash on Windows 208 server

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 02:36:36 -0800

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:59:16PM -0300, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:

I wanted that option to create a daemon process to serve probe request,
in a way similar to what ClamAV does. It would be nice not having to
reload an executable for each scan.

That is good reasoning, but the current --interactive implementation
is actually not very well suited to that.  It does almost all the same
work (reloading data files, etc.) as if you just executed Nmap again.
The executable itself is not re-executed in --interactive, but I don't
think that will cause a material performance impact for Nmap.

Cheers,
-F