Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenVAS plans to integrate NSE support

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:33:08 -0700

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 07:16:03AM -0600, Ron wrote:
Hello,

I love OpenVAS, and I think integrating NSE into it would be really cool!

Input parameters are described in the documentation, but the
difficulty is that libraries can also include input parameters and you
therefore have to find them recursively (by looking at what includes
what).

We do something like this for NSEDoc. For example, at

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/smb-check-vulns.html

there are paragraphs for "safe" and "unsafe", and then it has

randomseed, smbbasic, smbport, smbsign
See the documentation for the smb library.

smbdomain, smbhash, smbpassword, smbtype, smbusername
See the documentation for the smbauth library.

At this point, I think what you're saying is a major weakness of
Zenmap -- it has no way to prompt the user for the proper parameters
for scripts, it expects users to just know. Maybe it's something we
can explore in Zenmap as well?

This is a TODO item already. You're right, it would be great if the
profile editor could show the documentation for each script, and
automatically parse out the possible script arguments and make text
boxes to fill in.

I think this could be done tolerably well through scraping of the script
source code. Zenmap and OpenVAS wouldn't have to have a Lua interpreter.

David Fifield