Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: possible ncat handle leak

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:58:23 -0700

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:13:36AM +0000, Jon Greaves wrote:
Hi David

I might be misunderstanding your explanation but using Process
Explorer if I connect to gmail imap service and then issue a ? LOGOUT
the imap session quits the sporned ncat process exits but the
controlling ncat instance still shows a thread open but Non-existant.

A bit more digging and I think it is actual a handle to the cmd.exe
that gets run presumably by windows to execute the additional ncat
process.

Thread showing in parent ncat process while still connected to remote gmail server
cmd.exe(3164): 1516

Thread showing in parent ncat process once gmail connection is cleanly logged out.
<Non-existent Process>(3164): 1516

Apologies if I'm getting my thread and handles mixed up

Jon, I'm sorry I didn't understand you fully before. I see what you mean
now. I think the problem is fixed in 16882. The CreateProcess function
creates two handles that need to be closed, hProc and hThread. We were
only closing hProc.

David Fifield