Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Minor feature enhancement for nbstat.nse

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:28:52 -0700

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:09:28PM -0600, Thomas Buchanan wrote:
Hello,

Here's a patch for nbstat.nse (and datafiles.lua) that adds the ability
to look up MAC address manufacturer information and display it alongside
the MAC address, similar to the way nmap does when scanning IP addresses
on a local network.  The patch add a capture pattern and associated
parse function for nmap-mac-prefixes to nselib/datafiles.lua, and then
utilizes that function in nbstat.nse to lookup MAC address
manufacturers.

Here's an example of how the output has been changed:

Without patch:
Host script results:
| nbstat:
|   NetBIOS name: LATITUDE, NetBIOS user: <unknown>, NetBIOS MAC:
00:1f:3c:6a:38:45
<snip>

With patch:
Host script results:
| nbstat:
|   NetBIOS name: LATITUDE, NetBIOS user: <unknown>, NetBIOS MAC:
00:1f:3c:6a:38:45 (Intel Corporate)
<snip>

Hopefully somebody else will find this useful, it's been a help to me
doing network inventory management.

Thanks, Thomas! It's a good idea and I've committed it.

David Fifield