Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] detector/exploit for CVE-2009-3733 (VMWare Path Traversal)

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 00:22:14 -0600

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:10:47 -0700 David Fifield
<david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
Is this different enough from http-passwd to justify a separate
script? Could they be combined into one http-traversal?

That's a good question and, to be honest, I hadn't thought of it.

That being said, my reasons against would be:
- This script checks for a specific named/numbered vulnerability, and is one that people would frequently want to run
alone (I've used it several times against our network)
- This script exploits said vulnerability in a specific way (dumping the list of hosts on the VMWare server), and can
be improved to gather more information in the future if somebody requires
- This script requires a certain path (/sdk) that would have to be checked (not a big deal, of course)
- I'm hoping to update http-passwd in the future, once we have a good http-spider script, to do a lot more checking,
which will take a lot more time than one simple check

I admit that none of those reasons are show stoppers, but I'm a fan of keeping it separate.

I don't like "safe", "default" for this script. It's not all that
intrusive, but it will run against every open port 80, most of which
won't be ESX.

I can go both ways on that one, I meant to bring up as a discussion point from the start.

FOR making it 'default':
- It's a single very fast check (one web request/response)
- Virtually no chance of false positives/low chance of false negatives
- It's an incredibly nasty vulnerability if it's exposed

AGAINST making it 'default':
- It'll run against every HTTP server, 99.99% of which won't be VMWare
- It can easily be flagged by IDS ('../' is dead obvious)

I'm really ok with going either way, although I personally lean toward making it 'default'.

David Fifield

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org