Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Raw ethernet frame questions and NSE library questions

From: majek04 <majek04+nmap-dev () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:55:52 +0000

Take a look at promiscuous.nse. It requires raw ethernet frames.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood.  I didn't mean replace ethernet sending with
the raw IP sending, convert existing ethernet-requiring scripts, or whatever
else.  I was asking if kx's script itself actually required anything at the
ethernet level or if writing it with raw IP sending would be better.

Ah, I did misunderstood. Thanks.
Sure, most people don't care about layer 2.

All the layer 3 stuff in nmap is a bit messy, due to the windows
rawip hack. I think the biggest problem of my raw-ip code for nse
was the limitation that it was only able to send data to targets.
You couldn't send stuff to arbitrary ip address - as the routing
was based on Target instances (and metadata like layer2 addresses there).

MM