Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] db2-das-info.nse: IBM DB2 Server Profile export + Version detection - Re-engineered

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:59:04 -0600

On 1/28/2010 2:48 AM, Fyodor wrote:

Of particular interest are:
1.  The debug output is VERY verbose at the moment.  This is due to
instrumenting the
     packet manipulation process.  Should we comment out some of this detail?

I don't have a DB2 server to test on at the moment, but if it is very
verbose with just one -d, I'd up that to require a higher debug level.
I know people who regularly run Nmap with -d just to get a bit more
information, but they don't want excessive flooding.

I have changed the code so that it requires -d4 before it starts printing
out most of the debugging data.  Only a few basic lines print with just
-d now.

I have also changed the portrule so that it only fires on port 523 instead
of firing on port 523 OR ibm-db2.  It was firing against the actual database
ports (50000 and 60000 range) if version detection was used and the port was
identified as ibm-db2.  These ports don't speak the same language so at best
it was just wasted time and bytes.  If debugging was used the user would see
NSE throw an error due to the script timing out, potentially causing useless
confusion.

Tom