Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap path problem

From: Chris Clements <cclements () flatearth net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:37:39 -0600

I have ndiff and some radialnet files in these directories, but no reference to zenmap:

/usr/local/local/bin/ndiff
/usr/local/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/radialnet/

It appears the files are going in the right place (/usr/local/share/ zenmap). If I manually delete them, then re-run the install, they are recreated in that location. The problem seems to be isolated to the incorrect lines being entered (or not entered as the case might be) into the definitions in the file "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist- packages/zenmapCore/Paths.py".

Chris

On Jan 18, 2010, at 4:26 PM, David Fifield wrote:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 01:03:41PM -0600, Chris Clements wrote:
> It seems when I build nmap from svn on ubuntu9.10, zenmap installs
> correctly, but when I try to launch from command line or from gnome
> menu, I get a failure:
>
> ===================================
> Error creating the per-user configuration directory
>
> There was an error creating the directory u'/root/.zenmap' or one of the
> files in it. The directory is created by copying the contents of '/
> usr/share/zenmap/config'. The specific error was
>
> "[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/zenmap/config'"
>
> Zenmap needs to create this directory to store information such as the > list of scan profiles. Check for access to the directory and try again.
> ===================================
>

> Looking at /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/zenmapCore/ Paths.py, > it seems that the config paths are being set incorrectly (should be /
> usr/local/share/zenmap/):
>
> ===================================
> # These lines are overwritten by the installer to hard-code the
> installed
> # locations.
> CONFIG_DIR = '/usr/share/zenmap/config'
> LOCALE_DIR = '/usr/share/zenmap/locale'
> MISC_DIR = '/usr/share/zenmap/misc'
> PIXMAPS_DIR = '/usr/share/zenmap/pixmaps'
> DOCS_DIR = '/usr/share/zenmap/docs'
> ===================================
>

> The "make install" process seems to be correctly passing the /usr/ local
> directory to setup.py:
>
> ===================================
> cd zenmap && /usr/bin/python setup.py --quiet install --prefix "/ usr/
> local" --force

I just tried installing on Ubuntu 9.10 and I hit what might be a
different problem: the Zenmap (and Ndiff) files were installed under
/usr/local/local. 9.10 released with this bug:

"distutils tries to install in /usr/local/local/ when --prefix=/usr/ local is set"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.6/+bug/456917

Is that happening to you? Do you have files
/usr/local/local/share/zenamp and others?

David Fifield