Nmap Development mailing list archives

SoC Proposal

From: Robert Lehmann <mail () robertlehmann de>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:28:51 +0200

Dear Nmap developer team,

I have prepared a Google Summer of Code 2010 proposal and am looking
forwards to working with you. It's missing on some details which I
would appreciate your feedback on.
It's available online at
http://docs.google.com/View?id=df6p74cq_8d2d32cc6 and attached as
plain text.

April-1'ly yours,
Robert Lehmann

Nmap Professional Slacker Position: Good-For-Nothing during the Summer and Paid

1. Abstract
2. About the Applicant
3. Implementation Strategy
  1. Reporting
  2. Dealing with Bugs or Obstacles
4. Timeline
  1. Schedule
  2. Milestones
  3. Weekly Schedule
     1. Monday
     2. Tuesday
     3. Wednesday
     4. Thursday
     5. Friday
     6. Saturday
     7. Sunday

1. Abstract
Programmers tend to have a bad reputation among normal population.
They are considered socially inept, boring and peculiar (commonly
referred to as geeky). Network programmers manage, on a day to day
basis, to understand, analyze, use, and improve the complex systems
that make up our Internets. There needs to be a huge image campaign to
ameliorate The Geek's fame.

2. About the Applicant
I am Robert Lehmann, an 18 years old second-term IT Systems
Engineering student from Germany. (See my CV for my developer
credentials.) I live in Potsdam but regularly hang around in Berlin, a
city of worldwide fame for its lifestyle scene. Berlin's central
position in Europe and its capital status make it an excellent
marketing hub for this project.

3. Implementation Strategy
In order to forget about Computer Science-y things I would take on the
risk and miss my scheduled lectures. I will spend the additional time
"playing video games, watching TV, reading Slashdot, and dating." To
achieve the best possible results I will fight the battle on multiple
fronts.

3.1 Reporting
"You will report these activities in a weekly status report so the
rest of us can live our lives vicariously through yours."

A weblog will keep the Nmap developer team updated on my activities in
a weekly digest style. The public presentation of my work will also
emphasize the openness of the Nmap project, allowing third-parties to
benefit from my findings.

Interested local developers are free to meet me at any time. They can
join me through geolocation-based status updates when waiting for
their code to compile.

There might be times I am too busy slacking off so do not count on
regular updates. I might also vanish into AWOL without prior notice.

3.2 Dealing with Bugs or Obstacles
It is possible I need to touch code or cannot resist the urge to. For
repentance I will most likely quit writing the critical parts halfway
through (or just after I found a showstopper bug), leave without
comments and documentation and go play some Flash games instead.

4. Timeline
Google Summer of Code runs from May 24 to August 9 (11 weeks) with a
Community Bonding Period starting on April 26 (4 weeks).

I am interested in continuing that noble pursuit after this summer. I
then consider myself a Fulltime Nmap Contributor and demand TODO
outrageouos claim.

4.1 Schedule
* beginning of term (Apr 19): Start slacking off and avoid
productivity at all means.
* exams (week starting Jul 26): Reach level 70 in Farmville.

4.2 Milestones
* initial checkout: Setup my hideout, "The Beer Cave."
* 100% coverage: Follow all Nmap developers on MySpace.
* meet your mentor: Encounter my mentor on Chatroulette.

4.3 Weekly Schedule

Maintaining a steady schedule is key for self-motivation. I will most
likely spend the week in Potsdam in the dormitory to concentrate on
wasting time and visit Berlin on weekends. If I get up to it, that is.
TODO Complete weekly schedule.

4.3.1 Monday
  * Read xkcd.
  * Read TechCrunch.
  * Call it a day.

4.3.2 Tuesday
  *

4.3.3 Wednesday
  * Read xkcd.

4.3.4 Thursday
  *

4.3.5 Friday
  * Read xkcd.
  * Party hard.

4.3.6 Saturday
  * Party harder.

4.3.7 Sunday
  * Recover from stressful week.
  * Claim email bankruptcy and tweet "inbox zero again!" afterwards.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to Frederik Braun for being such a supportive slacker.