Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: An idea for the Google Summer of Code...

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:02:28 -0600

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:19:34PM +0300, Ivan Vasilov wrote:
I'm interested in submitting my own idea for the Summer of Code contest so I
would be really grateful if I can get some feedback from all of
you,guys.Thanks.
My idea is to create a command-line application for cracking crypted text
through brute-force (ncrypt?). Basically,the application will try to find
out the key which was used for encrypting the message.It will have support
for multi-core and multi-processor systems.The different methods of
decrypting (AES,DES...) will be implemented through plugins.

It's an interesting idea. You are welcome to submit your proposal for
this project; even if it turns out the project isn't selected you may
still be a participant on a different project if you can demonstrate
high ability. In your proposal I would be interested in knowing what
other similar programs exist and what will make this program different.

I would also like to see some data that shows how often different types
of encrypted files are found. A program that, say, decrypts a file with
AES in ECB mode won't be useful if typical programs don't produce that
sort of file. I would want to see some indication that you know which
formats would be most valuable to target.

I'm apologizing for spamming the dev list,and thanks again.

It's not spamming; we encourage Summer of Code proposal discussion here.

David Fifield