Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Hosted Scanner

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:16:02 -0700

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:36:06PM -0400, Mike Smith wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I'm starting to write the application now.

By the way, I noticed a contradiction in the two pages mentioning this project:
From the main idea list page: "The Nmap project will pay for virtual
machine hosting (probably a Linode instance) for the project
duration."
From the requirements document: "You must have root access to a UNIX
machine connected to the Internet that you can set this up on."

Will the Nmap project give me a server to develop on or will I have to
find my own? I *should* be able to find one, but if not I'd have to
resort to developing on my laptop, which isn't a problem except that
outsiders won't be able to test except when I'm awake (I don't leave
my computers on overnight).

Hi Mike.  Good question.  The /soc/ page is correct--if a SoC
developer needs a virtual machine (such as linode.com) to develop on,
the Nmap project will pay for it.  For example a Linode 360 instance
is only $20/month, so it would be just $60 or so for the SoC period.

I've updated the HostedScan document to remove the conflict and made
some other small updates as well.

Cheers,
-F