Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: configure error under solaris 8, nmap-5.21

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:58:17 -0700

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:52:54AM -0600, Regis Jones wrote:
First, hats off and all kudos and credit to Fyodor and the nmap
development community for an outstanding project. Many many thanks for
a tremendously useful tool!

I'm glad you find Nmap useful!

checking if --disable-protochain option is specified... enabled
./configure: line 6651: syntax error near unexpected token `in'
./configure: line 6651: `       for ac_header in'
configure: error: ./configure failed for libpcap
$
$ uname -a
SunOS foobox 5.8 Generic_117350-45 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

Thanks for the report.  I was able to reproduce this on my Solaris 9
SPARC box as well.  I checked a fix into SVN (r17042).  The problem is
a bogus empty test in the libpcap/configure.in.  It was actually fixed
by libpcap in their source control back in 2008, but there hasn't been
a release since then :(.  They seem to still be actively developing,
just not making releases.  Here is the libpcap bug tracker entry:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2224954&group_id=53067&atid=469577

Cheers,
-F