Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detect Subversion running on port 80 using Apache

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:39:38 -0600

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 05:18:20AM -0700, Kevin Longfellow wrote:
Hi,

I'm using nmap 5.21 to scan for servers that could be source control
servers.  I work for a large company, and we are trying to get a
handle on various source control servers on the network.  Scanning for
the various open ports works great but one issue so far is Subversion
which can also be configured on port 80 running Apache with
mod_dav_svn.

Are there any nmap options I can use to try and get more information
from port 80 and possibly detect Subversion?  If not any suggestion on
something else that could?

Something that comes to mind is to use the http-methods script and look
for the WebDAV methods that Subversion uses. Beyond that, you might need
that can speak a fraction of whatever protocol Subversion uses, which
would send a simple request and check the response.

David Fifield