Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap errors on *BSDs (noted on NetBSD and MacOSX, so far) (traceroute)

From: Fredrik Pettai <pettai () nordu net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:18:02 +0100

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:30 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 06:19:34PM +0100, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
On Mar 23, 2010, at 5:57 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 05:28:29PM +0100, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
I've noted two problems that has surfaced in between the release of
nmap 5.00 (2009-07-15) -> 5.10BETA1 (2009-11-23).

First one, traceroute doesn't work any more on *BSD system. I've
verified this on NetBSD, Mac OS X (I haven't verified OpenBSD, but
this probably broken there as well). FreeBSD status is unknown.

Thanks for taking the time to report this. Please post the output
that you see. Make sure to run Nmap with the -d option to get
debugging output. I tested just now and traceroute works for me on OS
X (with  the latest SVN version; I didn't test 5.10BETA1).

I haven't tested the SVN version but 5.21 still fails both for NetBSD
and MacOSX (Leopard).
I started with 5.21 first on both platforms and backed back as long as I
could towards 5.00 where the problems wheren't present.
(I used the released tarballs, hence I noted that it was present in
5.10BETA1).

Here is debug output from a NetBSD host:

-bash-4.0$ nmap -d --traceroute ping.sunet.se

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-03-23 18:05 CET
Warning: Traceroute does not support idle or connect scan, disabling...
PORTS: Using top 1000 ports found open (TCP:1000, UDP:0, SCTP:0)

The answer here is the line "Warning: Traceroute does not support idle
or connect scan, disabling...". Traceroute needs to be run as root. This
has surprised me more than once too. Maybe we should treat this as a
fatal error, just like when someone asks for -O as a non-root user?

Yes, why not. I not more helpful to get a portscan then you asked for a traceroute, rather the opposite:

$ nmap --traceroute ping.sunet.se

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-03-23 21:11 CET
Warning: Traceroute does not support idle or connect scan, disabling...
Nmap scan report for ping.sunet.se (192.36.125.18)
Host is up (0.00025s latency).
Not shown: 995 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
22/tcp    open  ssh