Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: n00b in town

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:35:47 -0600

Hello Fyodor,

I was referred to the nmap Summer of Code site from Google's list. I
have always been fascinated by network security and an opportunity to
participate on nmap would be extremely attractive.

Zenmap and mobile nmap looked particularly interesting to me.
I have been doing commercial applications GUI in win32 to earn rent,
making PyQt applications for fun and studying human computer
interaction and interface design for the duration of my university
study. I've also been using nmap and discovered Zenmap on my first
year of university. Superficially, I believe some of the easiest
improvements to make immediately are minor usability flaws. Currently,
there seem to have some bugs with profiles and other frequently used
stuff that bothers regular use. Usability wise, simple things like
help on highlighting dropdown lists as well as checkboxes can help
users that didn't memorize any arguments use Zenmap.

I agree that the Zenmap interface should be improved. It has been
getting better, though. What we're looking for here is someone with a
concrete idea of how the interface should look and work. If you're
planning to include this in your proposal, you should remember to
include some drawings of the changes you intend to make.

What version of Zenmap do you base your comments on? Does your profile
editor screen look like this?
http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-profile-editor.html#zenmap-edit-command
Jurand Nogiec worked two summers ago to add that interactive help. Is
that what you had in mind?

A graphical output (progress/status bar) would keep the user in the
loop about what the application is doing. Currently, it's still in
text form and not really benefitting from the GUI.

The difficulty here is finding a way to get that information out of Nmap
to show in the GUI. Right now, the best option is to use --stats-every
with Nmap, and parse the completion percentage from the output. An
existing obstacle to this is that Zenmap doesn't parse the output file
incrementally, but all at once at the end. This is definitely a desired
Summer of Code task (http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/1007), so if
you have an idea for how to do it you should include it in your
proposal.

On the mobile side, I have worked on a year long cloud image
processing research project using the Android. Are you more interested
in reproducing the features of nmap using the mobiles' native
development languages like Objective-C and Java or are you also
addressing clients that would be interested to use custom rooted
images and cross compiled in other languages?

I don't know much about mobile development, but we don't want to have
two separate codebases. (No porting Nmap to Java.)

David Fifield

P.S. I'm copying this to nmap-dev () insecure org because that's where
we've been having the discussion about Summer of Code ideas.