Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Need help on Wrong OS detection by Nmap 5.0

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:29:30 -0000

Hi,

Looking at the screenshot, you appear to be scanning the IP address that's associated with your Wireless LAN adapter.
Without knowing how your access point works (as some are a bit quirky), it's possible that the device is manipulating
the packets and causing the incorrect OS detection.

I'm also surprised to see 988 closed ports, but I'm assuming you disabled your firewall in order to get Nmap to see an
open and closed port to try and improve the accuracy?

You might want to check how your guest accesses the network. Did you go with a bridged network (some wireless cards
have issues allocating a DHCP address to a guest, so you might want to use the Ethernet connection) or can you use the
VMWare Virtual Private Network to scan the host (e.g. the 192.168.8.1 address?) as this might help you gain more
accurate results.

I assume the incorrect OS detection can be consistently produced? It might help us if you can provide the Nmap output
after adding the -d option to the command to enable debugging.

Rob