Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: zenmap: problems with GUI language

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:11:21 -0700

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 12:46:35PM +0100, Robert Premuž wrote:
As I use Croatian regional settings in Windows, the zenmap GUI is in
Croatian. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to change that by
following the procedures on http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-lang.html

I tried to run the following commands in the Windows command shell
(cmd.exe):

set LANG=en_US
zenmap

but zenmap started with GUI in Croatian language.
Just in case I tried to set LANG using the Control Panel but the
effect was the same.

As a last resort I renamed
"C:\Program Files\Nmap\share\zenmap\locale\hr" so that zenmap couldn't
find the Croatian language file and this way I got GUI in English.

So, is there something broken in zenmap for Windows regarding these
issues? Am I doing something the wrong way?

Zenmap gets the locale by calling the locale.getdefaultlocale function.

http://docs.python.org/library/locale.html#locale.getdefaultlocale

On Windows, this first tries to get the locale by calling the
GetLocaleInfo function.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318101(VS.85).aspx

If that fails, then it examines environment variables such as LANG.
Maybe there's a Windows way to accomplish this without LANG? Is there a
way to run just one application in a different locale? Does anybody have
a non-English system locale, but run certain applications in English,
for example?

David Fifield