Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Detect certain Citrix application browsing services

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:07:34 -0800

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 08:13:55PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:54:35PM -0600, Thomas Buchanan wrote:

I'm looking for feedback on a couple of aspects of the patches.  First,
how should one determine the frequency values when adding entries to
nmap-services?  I used a value from the next closest port, but that
seems pretty arbitrary.

We have a record for port 1604/udp in the master nmap-services-all file,
but because it has a frequency of 0 it is left out of the smaller
nmap-services file.

unknown           1604/udp      0/3027

If we have reason to believe the port is interesting, I think it is OK
to just bump this up to 1/3027 and that should get it added to
nmap-services.  Eventually we will get better UDP data (ours is pretty
limited for ports like this which were unnamed), but for now a little
manual adjustment or two is fine.  That can be useful not just for
missed services, but for new ones which have become popular since the
most recent port frequency survey.

I tried this, and it results in 302 additional lines in nmap-services,
bringing the total number of lines to 20,192. Although the number of
added lines is small, most of them are just where a TCP port shares the
same name as a UDP port, even when a service commonly runs on only one
or the other. Fyodor, what do you think about adding these named ports
to the distributed nmap-services, even if their frequency is below the
inclusion threshold?

I'm not opposed to that, but my initial thought is that a manual
adjustment to that one service frequency may be better than a more
general approach which brings along an extra 300 ports which might not
actually be useful.

The longer term strategy is to do a bigger survey and collect more UDP
data.  But the -p- UDP scans are very slow and consume a whole lot of
memory.

Cheers,
-F