Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Duplicate MAC prefixes in nmap-mac-prefixes

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:58:47 +0000

I know this isn't unique to nmap.

What is the benefit of the IEEE assigning multiple vendors to the same
vendor prefix?

Did this issue slowly arise from companies being purchased by other
companies or going out of business?

It doesn't make sense that something that is supposed to be unique by
vendor isn't actually unique by vendor.

Again, I realize that this isn't something nmap can fix, I just want
to understand why we have this problem in the first place.

Thanks.

-Jason