Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 host discovery, SYN, incorrectly reporting targets down

From: "Paul Jenkins" <pjenkins () dsci com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:02:18 -0400

So if I gather this correctly, Windows doesn't send NMAP the
ECONNREFUSED, and just drops the request, so NMAP never has the
opportunity to register the host as UP. I'm blaming windows since the
same scan on the same network from a Linux box which received the
ACK/RST, correctly reported the host as UP, which would mean the stack
on a Linux box sends the ECONNREFUSED to NMAP.

Thank you,
Paul