Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS X 10.6 diagnosis: pcap timeout and bpf device access

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:35:13 -0700

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:32:29AM -0500, Walt Scrivens wrote:
As I said in my earlier e-mail, I compiled for 32 bit configuration
and nmap seemed to work OK.

I just installed Apple's latest update, 10.6.2, and re-complied
without the 32-bit switches; nmap now seems to work properly!

That's good. Their update must have fixed the read timeouts. I haven't
tried it yet, but if it really is fixed, then maybe we don't have to do
anything. I was about to write a poll replacement for pcap_select. On
the other hand, I think I'll do that anyway, because then we get the
benefit of having pcap_select work on Mac OS X past 10.6, and Nmap won't
be broken for users of 10.6 and 10.6.1.

David Fifield