Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ron/fuzz-garbage script

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:58:58 -0500

Hi Mike,

It shouldn't freeze Nmap, but it could be an issue with how the Windows
version of Nmap handles sockets. All it's doing it looping and sending
data. My solution would be to not run Nmap on Windows, but that's just me ;)

As for different chunksizes, the functionality already exists. There are
two script-args, one for the total amount of data to send (default:
unlimited), and one for the size of the chunks (default: 1024).

Ron

mike wrote:
Ron...

just tested that fuzz-garbage script using netcat for my listening socket. not only did it freeze up netcat, it ALSO
locked up nmap! i assume that wasn't your plan with this, correct? i understand crashing a server but why crash the
scanner itself?! i ran this and in about 3 seconds i was locked up and could not CNTRL/C out of it. i had to go into
process explorer and launch the kill function directly from there to end the process. not good

m|ke

(i noticed the code sent 1024 byte random chunks, can this be modified in the future? maybe give us a small chunk
burst for testing and an option for the larger one?)

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/