Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 12:13:44 +0000

I was looking for a GUI, and a version of ZenMap, which is not included
in
the package of nmap as so noted by the author reported on the
insecure.orgsite.

Hi Rick, I assume you downloaded the zip version as that doesn't include
Zenmap (or Ncat and Ndiff). The setup file (nmap-5.00-setup.exe) includes
Zenmap, and you should be able to install Zenmap by itself if you
deselect/uncheck all of the other check boxes (although I've just spotted
that it won't create any uninstallation entries unless you install "Nmap
Core Files" at the same time!).

Most new users tend to use the setup file, rather than the zip, to install
Nmap and all of its associated tools. Probably because the download page
does clearly state that:

"The Nmap executable Windows installer [...] also includes the Zenmap
graphical frontend."

and

"For those who prefer the command-line zip files (Installation
Instructions; Usage Instructions), they are still available. The Zenmap
graphical interface is not included with these, so you need to run nmap.exe
from a DOS/command window."

Regards,

Rob