Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark's WinPcap Detection

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 21:48:55 -0800

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 04:15:31PM +0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I noticed that Wireshark's installer doesn't detect that WinPcap has
already been installed if I use the Nmap version of the WinPcap installer.
I grabbed Wireshark's source code and spotted that they're checking the
following keys:

Good catch and research!

If we do decide to create the same keys as the official WinPcap installer,
it complicates our silent installer (but I can probably add another
registry value that still lets us identify our own installs).

I like this idea of creating the same keys for compatibility with the
official installer, but also creating an extra key that we (or they)
can use when there is a desire to distinguish between the two.  Can
you make this change?

Cheers,
-F