Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Version detection output - script vs normal

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 01:15:38 -0800

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:23:55PM -0500, Tom Sellers wrote:

nmap   -sV --version-all --script=custom-script.nse  -p60000
192.168.100.111

PORT      STATE         SERVICE         VERSION
60000/tcp open          custom                 MyServ Server
10.33.22 (Solaris)
|  custom-script: MyServ Version: 10.33.22
|_  Server Platform: Solaris

nmap  --script=custom-script.nse  -p60000 192.168.100.111

PORT      STATE         SERVICE
60000/tcp open          custom
|  custom-script: MyServ Version: 10.33.22
|_  Server Platform: Solaris

Hi Tom.  As you noticed, Nmap only includes the version information if
version detection or RPC scanning were requested ("if (o.servicescan
|| o.rpcscan)").  But your right that there is a special case where
someone could not specify these, but run a script which populates the
version detection results.  I don't think we want to include the
"SERVICE" column in all cases that NSE was requested, as this USUALLY
doesn't happen.  We could maybe add some smarts so that Nmap detects
this case and prints the VERSION column anyway if this happens (maybe
one a target by target basis).  But I'm not sure this scenario is
common enough to warrant this.

So for now, I'm afraid you just have to use -sV if you want the
version information.  But you could always specify
"--version-intensity 0" to speed it up.  Or even pass a nearly empty
probes file.  Or, if you (or anyone) wants to suggest a patch to
handle this case differently, I'd be happy to look at it.

Cheers,
-F