Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Skype detection

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:20:59 +0000

Hi Jon,

It's because skype turns out to be pretty hard to match well without causing
false positives on unrelated services. We have tried out skype match lines in the
past, but found some fairly common services that were incorrectly identified as
skype. Skype also seems to be pretty random about choosing its ports.

So we had 2 options:

1) Enhance version detection to take into account multiple probe/responses
   when determining skype.

2) Use (NSE) Nmap Scripting Engine instead.

We went with 2. See Brandon's skypev2-version.nse script.

I think the first would have been a fairly non-intrusive change that might have
been useful for other match lines as well, but using NSE is also a reliable
way to match the skype service. If you use -sC you should see skype as a service.

Doug