Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Question about a change nmap.xsl

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:21:40 -0600

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 07:40:09PM -0500, Tom Sellers wrote:
Hey folks,

While in IRC I caught part of a conversation that byte_bucket was
having with someone concerning the XML output.  byte_bucket was
helping him out and as part of that he mentioned that the nmap.xsl
file should really start with <?xml version="1.0"?>.  Having this
before the comments would make the doc conform to standards, if I am
not mistaken.  From what I can tell the presence or absence of the
line did not affect IE or Firefox' rendering of the page, but might
affect some other software.

That prolog is only a SHOULD (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-prolog-dtd),
but if we SHOULD then I guess we should. Nmap and Zenmap already include
it in their output files. You can add it.

David Fifield