Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Bug in Windows 7 ?

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:40:56 +0100

Hi Guillermo,

The error about vcredist_x86.exe in nmap-5.00 is already known (it affects
all Windows installations) and should be fixed in the next stable release,
but thanks for letting us know. The Visual C++ runtime should be correctly
installed, but a mistake in Nmap's installer results in a false warning that
always says vcredist_x86.exe failed. This shouldn't affect your Nmap
results.

If you're trying to ping hosts that are all on the same local subnet, Nmap
will send ARP requests to see who responds (rather than try and ping the
stations using ICMP echo requests like Windows). If you add "
--packet-trace" to your command, you'll be able to see the ARP requests
being "SENT". Do you see any "RCVD" ARP responses?

Rob