Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ftp-capabilities.nse

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:15:27 -0500

On 09/17/2009 03:39 PM, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 03:04:49PM -0500, Ron wrote:

That sort of leads me to another thought: anybody have feelings about
creating an nse category for "experimental" scripts? That is, scripts
that more or less work fine but haven't been tested enough to call
stable? I've written a lot of scripts in the past few weeks that I post
to the list for people to test, but it'd be nice to stick it in svn
without having to use a nmap-exp branch. I find things getting lost in
the shuffle, since I work on them from at least 3 different systems, and
often pass stuff to myself via email. Any opinions on that?

I think an nmap-exp branch is the best way to deal with those.  It
doesn't necessarily have to be a whole branch of nmap.  It could be
just nmap-exp/ron-nse just containing your experimental scripts/*.nse
and nselib/*.lua.  We have a "demo" category, but we're trying to get
rid of it.  The only remaining script there is smtp-open-relay.nse,
and I'm going to send an email about that one shortly.

Cheers,
-F

Sure, that works.

On that topic, I noticed that http://nmap.org/svn isn't always up to date with the actual svn. From what I understand, it's updated when you update the NSEDoc, I think? Is there any chance of automating that process so it happens at every commit (or every hour), or is there some reason not to do that?

(It's not a big deal, it's just nice having a http:// link to scripts right away)

Ron