Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE without ping or port scanning: interface ideas

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:03:49 +0100

On 10/07/2009 20:40, David Fifield wrote:
nmap -sC -sP -PN
This is what I used in my tests. A problem is the seemingly
contradictory options -sP -PN. You have to think of -sP not as "ping
scan" but as "don't port scan."

I remember trying this method for this very reason - it seemed perfectly
logical to me - "do a ping scan without any ping probes".
nmap -sC -sL
This one is nice because -sL already means "no ping or port scan."
However it means that -sL is no longer a guaranteed "safe" scan that
doesn't contact the targets.

nmap -sC -PN -s0
-s0 is a made-up option that means "don't port scan," analogous to -PN.
-sN would be a better match but that is already NULL scan.

None of these choices is compelling so I'm open to other ideas.

Perhaps a good idea, as Tom said, would be to have a "script scan
exclusively" option which would at least make it less confusing for
users, less difficult to implement - and easier to document.
Another idea I'd like to solicit comments on is to allow -p to be used
with -sP -sC. The port list would be a list of ports that are assumed to
be open on each host, without doing a port scan. This would allow
running port scripts, not just host scripts, with -sP. Assuming the
ports to be open would work much the same way as -PN assumes hosts to be up.

I like this idea.  I'd also like for scripts called by name to have
their host/portrules automatically return true - I can imagine this
might be a bit troublesome unless there was an option for "script scan
exclusively", but if there were such an option it should be easy to
override the return from a rule.

jah