Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Script to exploit the Windows Vista and 7 SMB 2.0 remote BSOD bug?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:49:20 -0500

On 09/14/2009 09:45 AM, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
At some point the decision was made to use true/false as a return
value for most of the socket functions. This value is generally
redundant. Typically Lua functions will return nil, error_message for
recoverable errors and the expected values otherwise (which gave rise
to the assert function). I believe if we make any change we should
move away from these useless boolean values. Alas compatibility is a
concern here.

That makes sense, but I know I've written *a lot* of code that depends on the (status, result) paradigm. Compatibility, like you said, would suffer.

Ron