Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: smbv2-dos.nse

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:22:45 -0500

On 09/12/2009 11:14 AM, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
I think it should be, since it's called "all".  Just because so far "all"
hasn't contained stuff like dos and exploit scripts doesn't mean it shouldn't
live up to its name now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you do "all and not dos" or something
similiar for this effect?

If the concern is for users accidently running evil dos and exploit scripts
when they specify "all", then I'm not sure what to say.  If they're going to
blindly run "all" scripts without knowing what they do, then they're just in
for trouble anyway.

We shouldn't butcher a category like "all", when its name describes it
perfectly in 3 letters.  All is all.

However if you're concerned with the fact that "all" isn't "relatively safe"
anymore, so you can't type just 3 letters, I think the boolean rule above will
suffice (or we could theoretically create yet another category to work around
this, but I don't like that very much).

Sorry if I've sounded stern; I've just wanted to get all of this out
beforehand in case this discussion takes off :)

Hey Kris

I totally see what you mean, and I do agree.

That being said, I do worry about people accidentally crashing stuff using my script. I know the first thing I did was run --script=all against a test server when I discovered that scripting exists, and that's fine (crashing test servers is fun :) ). But not everybody is that smart.

When it comes down to it, I can go either way on the issue.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/