Nmap Development mailing list archives

Showing Ports Nmap Hides

From: Andrew Johnston <ahjohnston25 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:06:27 -0400

Hello-

I have recently downloaded and started using Nmap 5.00. Like all version of
nmap, I find it is a very helpful tool. But recently, I was charged with
scanning a group of computers. All nmap said was there was hundreds of
filtered ports. I randomly guess a few ports and nmaped them. Nmap said they
were filtered/closed, but they were completely open. How do I force nmap to
show these ports? I believe that a firewall on the machine is recognizing
the scan, because at first (at least in nessus) is shows them as open, but
then the firewall is reconizing the scan, and sending out an RST to each
port that was sent a SYN.

--
Andrew Johnston