Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Request for testing of HP PJL service probe

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:08:46 -0600

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:57:24AM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I just tried it out at home and got:

Interesting ports on 192.168.xxx.xxx:
PORT     STATE  SERVICE   VERSION
9100/tcp open   hp-pjl    HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn
9101/tcp closed jetdirect
9102/tcp closed jetdirect
9103/tcp closed jetdirect
9104/tcp closed jetdirect
9105/tcp closed jetdirect
9106/tcp closed jetdirect
9107/tcp closed jetdirect
MAC Address: 00:21:5A:xx:xx:xx (Hewlett Packard)
Service Info: Device: printer

This picked up the correct version/matched the Device Description field. The
version detection stage knocked the printer out of "PowerSave" mode, and
into "Ready", but it doesn't appear to have screwed anything up (it didn't
print anything out). I'm able to print okay afterwards.

Great! Thanks for testing.

However, if I run a default version scan it ends up printing several pages
(before I kill nmap). I've identified the cause as version detection against
port 9999. I don't know how many other (modern) HP printers are affected by
this, is it worth adding 9999 to the exclude list?

That's interesting. I have two things I want you to try, if you would.

First, add port 9999 to the list of ports for the hp-pjl probe and see
if it the service is correctly identified. The line should read
ports 9100-9107,9999
Hopefully it's the same protocol and the same probe will work.

Second, try changing the probe to
Probe TCP hp-pjl q|@PJL INFO ID\x0d\x0a|
(removing the \x1b%-12345X parts). Then see if it still takes the
printer out of power save mode.

David Fifield