Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap doesn't register signal handlers

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:00:37 -0700

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:52:21AM +0300, ithilgore wrote:

While experimenting with signal handlers in Ncrack, I noticed that Nmap never
registers the sigdie() handler. This is caused, because there is no check in the
configure.ac for the signal function, and thus HAVE_SIGNAL stays always
undefined. You can see that the signal handler doesn't work, because no message
is printed whenever you press Ctrl+C to stop Nmap from continuing. Normally,
something like "caught SIGNAL <signame>, cleaning up" should be printed,
according to sigdie():

Good catch.  Since this hasn't been working for years and we haven't
been hearing complaints, and since our sigdie() is rather questionable
from a reentrancy perspective and needs a complete rewrite if we ever
decide to catch the signals again, I've removed sigdie() and some
other ancient signal cruft (e.g. reaper()).  I also fixed nbase to
properly detect HAVE_SIGNAL as well, since we do still have a few
arguably legitimate uses (like ignoring SIGPIPE and resetting many of
the other handlers to SIG_DFL).

Cheers,
-F