Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Zenmap] New Host Search GUI

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:34:07 -0600

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:13:44PM -0400, J Marlow wrote:
I'm working on a new search feature for Zenmap that will allow for
searching for hosts within a scan that matches some criteria.  Here is
my current take on what the GUI should look like.  Any suggestions?
For instance, should we incorporate buttons for selecting the criteria
also, as in the existing scan search interface?

I think this needs some background. Last summer, when Zenmap's current
search window was overhauled, there was discussion about having a
feature to filter the results and show only certain hosts. In other
words, the search window helps you find scans in the recent scans
database or in the filesystem, but it doesn't help you find hosts within
a scan, which is probably more useful. Here are some links.

"Zenmap search interface redesigned"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0771.html
"Search scenarios and solving them"
http://zenmap-soc08.blogspot.com/2008/06/search-scenarios-and-solving-them.html

Filtering the results of a single scan
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0546.html
"I think I would usually want the filter to be applied to the hosts
shown when I open the scan."
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0494.html
Use cases for host filtering
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0483.html

I envisioned the host filtering working somewhat differently than what
Josh has just presented. Instead of having a separate window showing a
list of matching hosts, I want the filter to limit the hosts that are
shown in the main interface. It would be something like the l command in
Mutt. I'll make a graphic showing what I mean.

David Fifield