Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Uniquely identifying an Nmap install from NSE?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:10:42 -0500

Something like the current Unix timestamp plus the 3rd and 6th octets
of the source's MAC would give a decent sized number and would not
contain enough information to necessarily give away the identity of
whoever is initiating the connection. Though I guess the collision
rate for that might be less than optimal.

Ben

Thanks for the suggest, but the issue with using the timestamp is that it isn't repeatable, so we can't go back and know which name we used without storing it locally.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/