Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: wordlists for Ncrack

From: Sebastien Raveau <sebastien.raveau () epita fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:51:18 +0200

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Brandon Enright<bmenrigh () ucsd edu> wrote:
If your wordlists are too large, what does it make my 58,427,177
words list? :-P

Comparing the size of one's cracking dictionary is a digital pissing
contest.

Ever heard of "self derision" ?

A more important measure of a dictionary is not its size but its
relative cracking efficiency.  Increasing the size runs into
diminishing returns.

O rly.

Back to password lists for Nmap, Nmap/Ncrack can't ship a 10GB password
list, not even a 100MB list.  We need to ship an efficient list.

Of course not, I never suggested otherwise :-)
As I said in my original email, I was mentioning my wordlist FYI "if
not for using it with Ncrack"...

I too have been working on cracking the phpbb passwords.
Of the 189766 unsalted MD5 hashes, I've cracked 176620.  That's 93% ;-)

Digital pissing contest, eh? ;-)

Kind regards,

--
Sebastien Raveau