Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap --resume problem

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:18:28 -0600

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:51:04PM +0430, Hamid Kashfi wrote:
Let me thank you Nmap developers for the great 5.00 release . I've had
few problems using nmap , which hope to see them fixed in next
releases , or to get a response on how to solve them .

# nmap --resume problem.

While --resume ouput.gnmap working fine , resuming -oA scan sessions
seems to be broken like -oX ( as stated in documents ) . Doing large
scale scans I'd be much more happy to have my results with -oA rather
than a single format, while being able to resume it smoothly.

To resume such scans , I use "nmap --resume output.gnmap" with a
header like below : ------- # Nmap 5.00 scan initiated Mon Jul 20
21:10:24 2009 as: nmap -T4 -sV -r -v -n -oA scan -iL ip.txt
--max-retries 3 --max-scan-delay 3 --host-timeout 15m --min-rate 300
-------

If everything goes fine I guess nmap should parse this header , resume
scan and append data to all three output formats , but it fails. Nmap
just append a new scan session to previous output files (all .nmap ,
.gnmap , .xml ) and dies as below :

------------------------------------- nmap --resume IRAN.gnmap

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-07-22 21:39 Iran
Daylight Time NSE: Loaded 3 scripts for scanning. Read data files
from: e:\path\nmap WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts
scanned. Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 1.57
seconds Raw packets sent: 0 (0B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

This works for me. I can start a scan with -oA, stop it with ctrl-C,
then resume it from the .gnmap file. The .xml file gets messed up, but
the .nmap and .gnmap are appended to properly.

Are you sure that the scan wasn't completely finished the first time? If
you resume a scan that's already finished, it will give you the "No
targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned" warning because there are no
more hosts to scan.

David Fifield